The Association for Computing Machinery – University of the Philippines Diliman Student Chapter, Inc. (UP ACM) is the country’s first and premier local student chapter of ACM, the world’s largest and oldest educational and scientific computing society. The organization has developed several innovative projects for all levels of academic achievement, such as pioneering the ICPC style programming competition locally. In further fulfilling its mission and vision in building a community to develop the future, UP ACM proudly presents ACM Fest: 2021.
The ACM Fest is a part of the organization’s 18th-anniversary celebration in providing high-quality technology advancement opportunities to students and professionals interested in the field of computing. Taking place on July 28 – 31, 2021, ACM Fest invites people from all walks of life to explore the various paths taken by those in the fields of Computer Science and Information Technology. The event will showcase different advancements in different areas of computing. A series of talks, lectures, and workshops led by industry professionals and UP ACM Alumni that would help the participants with their career development will also be provided.
The event will start on July 28, 2021, 1 – 5 p.m., with Jumpstart, a series of lectures that aims to educate everyone on how the computing industry works. The topics to be covered are the following:
- A Day in the Life of a Researcher by Dr. Jhoirene Clemente – Senior Researcher at the Algorithms and Complexity Lab in UP Diliman
- A Day in the Life of a Content Developer / Reviewer in Computer Science by Ms. Lourice Sillano – Content Developer at Course Hero
- A Day in the Life of a Software Engineer by Mr. Williard Jose – AI Engineer at Samsung R&D Institute Philippines
ACM Fest Day 2: Hodgepodge (1 – 6 p.m.) features hands-on, detailed workshops that aim to orient both undergraduates and professionals on the more technical side of computing. The topics of the workshops are the following:
- AI Hackathon: Building Your First Prototype by Ms. Abby del Castillo – Machine Learning Engineer at InnoVantage, Inc.
- Transferable Data Skills: Data Collection, Data Manipulation, Data Visualization by Ms. Rich Yap – Data Solutions Engineer at Lately Everything Needs Analytic (LENA)
- Guide to Resume Writing and Interviews by Ms. Cynthia Sarayba – Member of the People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP) Academe Industry Committee
To advance the art, science, engineering, and application of Information Technology through research and open interchange of information, representatives from ACM International will also provide a series of talks to impart some of their knowledge to the future pioneers of the computing world. Catch the following topics on July 30, 2021, from 1 to 6 p.m.:
- Blockchain Technology: Emerging Applications and Use Cases by Dr. Danda Rawat – Professor at Howard University, Washington, DC, USA
- Transforming Industry 4.0 Technologies by Dr. Madhusudan Singh – Professor at Woosung University, South Korea
- Career Paths in Machine Learning by Ms. Christine Balili – Data Scientist at Wesfarmers
Do not miss out on this great opportunity! Again, the event is open to everyone who shares an interest in computing. Register for free at https://bit.ly/ACMFest2021Signup.
ACM Fest also has something in stock for the organization’s members and students of UP Diliman. ACM Olympics finals will take place on July 31, 2021, wherein participants can show and enhance their strategy and skills in games such as Tetris, Chess, and League of Legends. Sign up now at https://bit.ly/ACMOlympicsSignup.
Ultimately, UP ACM is united in the objective of inclusive community development. ACM Fest also plans to create a positive impact on the community through ACM Bayanihan. This event’s beneficiary is the Kids for Kids, a non-profit organization that aims to inspire the next generation of Peacemakers, Worldshapers, and Change-makers. Visit their Facebook page, @KidsforKidsPhilippines, and their Instagram account, @kidsforkidsph.
Register now and let the learning begin! Exciting raffles and prizes will also be provided! Follow us on our Facebook page, @upacmfest, for more details.