New York Times commits an ‘unforgivable’ pastry misidentification

May 16th, 2018

The Brits and Americans are at it again.

Brits and Americans have their own way of referring to things. What Americans call the toilet, the Brits refer to as the loo. Elevators are called lifts in the UK; while television is referred to as telly. So it isn’t unusual to call these things differently from each other depending on which kind of English (the American or the British) you are using.

But when New York Times tweeted about their recent discovery of this popular British side dish and described it as a “fluffy pancake [that] is excellent for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dessert any time of year,” the Brits just had to speak up.

This large, fluffy pancake is excellent for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dessert any time of year https://t.co/rIYTybknnm pic.twitter.com/iAlpcidZxe

— The New York Times (@nytimes) May 12, 2018

Referring to a 200-year old dish as a “fluffy pancake” was definitely unforgivable among the Brits that they took to Twitter to educate their mates from America:

Dear @nytimes,

This is a Yorkshire pudding. You're welcome to come over here and try a proper one (we even have it as a wrap).

Drop us a DM.


The Original York#OnlyInYork https://t.co/SuyJ8ojGJR

— Visit York (@VisitYork) May 15, 2018

It’s called a YORKSHIRE PUDDING you heathens 😂
The recipe is older than America! https://t.co/vfZ6IL3qME

— Dan Walker (@mrdanwalker) May 13, 2018

That's a Yorkshire pudding, mate.

— heartbeeps (@hrtbps) May 12, 2018

Lolz that 'fluffy pancake' is called Yorkshire pudding chuck

— Zipzta (@Zipzta) May 13, 2018

Fluffy pancake ? It's a YORKSHIRE PUDDING, don't even think of calling it anything else, especially in Yorkshire. I am spitting feathers right now

— sylvia kendall (@KendallSylvia) May 13, 2018

This is not a dessert! This is a thing of beauty that should be filled with beef and vegetables. Or sausage and mash. It is a Yorkshire pudding. pic.twitter.com/Nxf6syE6sq

— becky (@bexsta711) May 12, 2018

Someone even added some helpful tips to fully enjoy your Yorkshire Pudding:

Being from Yorkshire I can confirm:
1. Yorkshire Puddings only exist to be served as a kind of starter. With gravy.
2. They are not a dessert food.
3. Aunt Bessie’s don’t count.
4. They are only for Christmas/Sunday dinner.
5. They can be turned into wraps. But only in York.

— 🌸Floral Fatty🌸 (@SimonSFranklin) May 15, 2018

Another is kind enough to point out that while the batter used in both pancakes and Yorkshire puddings are the same, the photo in NYT’s tweet is clearly a Yorkshire pudding.

Pancake batter and Yorkshire pudding batter are literally exactly the same but you cook them differently. This form is still a Yorkshire tho

— katie (@kj_christie) May 13, 2018

Whether it’s a fluffy pancake or a Yorkshire pudding, as Pinoys, our bet is on this fluffly “Bibingka”. 🙃

via NYT Cooking

Read more from InqPOP!:
This online dictionary decided to define most commonly used emojis

The best reactions and memes from Mark Zuckerberg’s congressional testimony

Bridesmaid unintentionally ‘upstages’ bride by being so ‘extra’ in the photos

Here’s why you shouldn’t make a ‘hugot’ out of the new PH coins

People on Twitter are questioning what this dessert is really called and now we’re confused

INQPOP! Stories we think you might also like: