Whether or not you grew up listening to their music, you are sure to have heard such hits like ‘Heaven By Your Side’, ‘Like a Rose’, and ‘Walking in the Rain’. How could you not know these love songs when they remain part of most ‘senti’ playlists today?
More than a decade has passed since A1 first took the stage and skyrocketed to fame, yet their timeless love songs sound as fresh and kilig-inducing as they did in the 1990s and early 2000s. And this month, you can bask in all the 90s’ boyband glory as the group returns to the Philippines for their ‘Here We Come- Back!’ tour!
We got to ask Ben Adams of A1 some questions about their group and their music, and here are his answers:
1. The title of your tour is ‘Here We Come- Back!’ in reference to your 1st album released in 1999, a good 17 years ago. What has changed in the way you perform as a group in that time?
Well due to experience we are a much better band now now and bring a better show than ever. We love the way we used to perform, but because we are now our own bosses we can choose which songs we want to perform and how, so we mix it up a lot.
2. For a time, you all worked on your solo careers. What made you want to perform as a boyband again after that?
We are like brothers so although we are busy on all our own projects constantly we love it when we get a chance to perform and spend time with each other.
3. The last time you performed in the Philippines, you invited Filipina celebrity Anne Curtis to your show so you can have her up on stage during the song ‘Like a Rose’. She unfortunately couldn’t make it. What was your reaction when she declined?
Did we? I don’t remember asking her if I’m honest!
4. Are there any Filipina celebrities you’d want to see at your show this time around?
That’s a hard one-we don’t get to know a lot of them living in the UK, but if there is someone you would like to suggest feel free!
5. In some interviews you’ve given a few years ago, you mentioned that Paul’s leaving was a catalyst for the eventual split of the group. How is your relationship with him now? Is there still bad blood between you?
We don’t speak-we haven’t for some time. Life moves on and so have we all.
6. What do you think of the younger boy bands today? If you were to compare them with your group as well as the other 90s boy bands, what do you think is your edge over them?
We never had social media so were allowed a level of privacy that doesn’t exist anymore-think we were lucky in that respect.
7. At the height of your career, you had a very big fan base, and perhaps a major part of your supporters were young girls who fell in love with your songwriting and charisma. Is it different now that you’re a little older?
Nope. The same fans we had back then are still with us and we make new ones all the time wherever we perform so its all good!
8. Regarding your supporters, what has been the weirdest encounter you’ve had with a fan?
Someone wrote some very bizarre fan fiction about me and what i got up to with them. Was quite strange!
9. You also mentioned in previous interviews that you used to get into arguments over girls and about who was more popular. How and when did you get over that?
When we all got girlfriends and that kind of stuff didn’t matter anymore.
10. After this tour, what can fans look forward to from you? Are you planning on releasing new music in the future?
We are always writing and working together. It’s just a case of finding something that we all love and the right time to release it.
Presented by Concert Republic, A1’s “Here We Come-Back!” Tour in Manila will be held at the Kia Theater in Araneta Center, Quezon City on October 23 and the IEC Pavilion in Cebu City on October 25, shows start 8 p.m.
October 23, Kia Theater, Araneta Center, Quezon City – tickets will be sold at all Ticketnet outlets or log on to www.ticketnet.com.ph or call 911-5555.
October 25, IEC Pavilion, Cebu City – tickets will be sold at all Ticketworld outlets or log on to www.ticketworld.com.ph or call 891-9999.